Sunday, March 12, 2017

I feel it coming, I feel it coming, babe.

Track: I Feel It Coming
Artist: The Weeknd feat. Daft Punk
Album: Starboy
Year: 2016
Genre: Pop/Electronic/Disco



If Starboy, the track, was more Weeknd and less Daft Punk, 'I Feel It Coming' is an out and out Daft Punk song featuring The Weeknd. It is reminiscent of the Get Lucky vibe from Daft Punk's revolutionary, smash hit, and one of my all time favorite albums 'Random Access Memories'.

I had been mulling over making this post about this song or not, trying to make my mind up about this song. The only reason I ever heard Starboy, the album, was because Daft Punk was featured on it not once, but twice. Wow, for a world parched for more Daft Punk, this was like manna from heaven.

When I first heard this track, I wasn't impressed. Bah, another stagnant track acting as a filler. But as I heard it again, and again, it grew on me like moss on a stationary stone. And the stimulus that sealed the deal was the music video that released a couple of days ago. The robots in their flowing, black capes! Drooooooooool, me likey!

The Weeknd is probably one of the best vocalists around right now. You need only see some live videos to be amazed at his vocal control. Here's wishing him a great career, and being validated by Daft Punk is a massive, massive thing. Starboy will be for him, what Hybrid Theory was for Linkin Park, or Appetite For Destruction was for Guns N Roses.



Daft Punk famously disappear for years altogether after dropping new music only to return Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. I am personally excited for their imminent 2017 announcements. The ALIVE 1997 and ALIVE 2007 tours were revolutionary in the world of electronic music. Oh, the respect I gained for Daft Punk after listening to the story behind their Pyramid and LED stage at Coachella 2006. Though the signs don't look good, I can't help but think Daft Punk have something up their sleeve. And if it is Coachella 2017 after all, no doubt about the fact that I'll be there to witness something special.

So, for their imminent return all I can say for now is: "I feel it comin', I feel it comin', babe!".

No comments:

Post a Comment